2008-07-22

Sorakaya Pulusu



This is my second post today . I guess I am excited to post as many recipes as possible . I remember last year when I went to India I made a list of items to eat and pulusu was one among them.














Ingredients :

1 sorakaya
1 big onion
4 to 5 chillies
2 garlic cloves
one lemon sized tamarind
chilli powder
1/2 tbsp Sesame/Nuvvula powder
1/2 tbsp fenugreek/menthulu powder
salt to taste
oil
popu ingredients



Peel the skin and cut the Sorakaya into medium size pieces. Cut onion into thin slices and slit green chillies. Soak tamarind in water and extract the juice .


Heat some oil in a kadai and do the popu or tadka ( 4 tbsp oil, few mustard seeds, 1 tsp chana dal, 1 tsp jeera, 1 dry red chilli, curry leaves,pinch of turmeric and a pinch of hing) .



Take two garlic cloves and crush them . Add it to popu . Add onions and chillies and fry till the onions turn golden brown.

Add the sorakaya pieces and cook for 2 minutes in the open pan. Add salt and close the lid of the kadai. Allow it to cook for some time and then add the tamarind juice and water.Allow it to cook till the sorakaya pieces are well cooked.


**Adjust the water as per the tamarind juice .

Add half tea spoon of sugar or jaggery to the pulusu . Add chilli powder if you want the pulusu to be little extra spicy .

When the pulusu is almost done add half tbsp of Sesame/Nuvvula powder and half tbsp of fenugreek/menthulu powder.(This is optional...however if you have them handy don't forget to add as this makes the pulusu thick ).

Serve hot with rice .














No comments: